Thursday, January 14, 2010

Campus Outreach...a cult or religious organziation?

I had a lady date with a good friend of mine last night, fondly known as J-Go. We've known each other for years and have remained friends since 2003. Through the years, we've been closer than others, but to this day I consider her a very good and constant friend. As we discussed how long we've been friends, we reminisced over the organization that brought us together (not to mention brought me to ALL of my close friends in undergrad), Campus Outreach. Many people I know vehemently oppose the organization, it's structure and teachings -- a lot of the friends I made through CO, my boyfriend, his siblings and even myself at times. However messed up the organization was/is, I strongly believe it's not the organization that led to physical exhaustion, guilt and frustration - it was the individual. No church, organization or bible study group is perfect...it's impossible, it's made up of humans and as we all know, we are faulty creatures. As bitter as some of my friends and boyfriend remain at CO, I am so thankful I was a part of it for the small amount of time I was actively involved. I came out of college meeting my best friends, one of them my current roommate. I didn't grow tremendously in my walk of faith nor did I lead any girls in bible studies or in their own walk -- but I'd like to think that God has a plan for everything and He provided me with the support group I needed to make it out of college knowing Him better.

I think what went wrong is that people allowed CO to guilt them and to make them feel bad for not, to use their catch phrases: "evangelizing" or "preaching the gospel" -- and maybe CO led their own members as if they were a real church, feeding on young Christians understanding the gospel through a college led organization by people who just became Christians themselves. Unfortunately, they banked on the emotions of their victims, kids trying to understand their faith. It's there the organization indoctrinates their novices, teaching their ways of discipleship.

However, you cannot blame the organization.

It is the individuals responsibility to seek leadership from a church, to lead himself and to discern his or her own boundaries. Quite often, however, that did not happen with many CO-ers, leaving young adults exhausted, drained and bitter. Some, to the point where they have denounced their faith.

Through this all, seeing some of my friends turn their backs on God and their faith and seeing some grow tremendously, truly living out God's word -- I know God has a plan. Campus Outreach may not be the ideal blue print for an organization exemplifying His character and desires, but I do believe its motives are pure...to exult God. God uses everything to glorify Him and I'm so glad I was a part of that organization. It help made me who I am today, a person who actively seeks after God.

No comments: